Claire Underwood has been a jeweller and silversmith for over 25 years. Her designs employ clean, elegant shapes, formed from matt silver or 18ct gold, with contrasting moments of rich colour and texture.
Underwood’s interest in jewellery was awakened by childhood travels to Africa where she encountered the adornment and colourful beadwork of the Maasai people. She translated these impressions into brightly patterned enamel through her studies at Loughborough College of Art and Design, the Royal College of Art, and at Cockpit Arts, where she set up her first workshop.
Over the past 20 years, as a diplomatic spouse, Underwood has lived in Russia, America, India and Thailand. These places have provided inspiration for her work, the designs evolving with each new country. She has captured the rich textures and colours from objects collected on these travels into designs embellished with bright enamel, colourful glass beads and, lately, precious gemstone beads.
Underwood returned to the UK in 2017 and established a new workshop in south London where she continues to develop her jewellery.
- 1967 Bristol
- 1989-91 MA Goldsmithing, Silversmithing, Metalwork and Jewellery, Royal College of Art, London
- 1986-89 BA (Hons) Silversmithing and Jewellery, Loughborough College of Art and Design
- 1995 Carroll Foundation Award, Chelsea Crafts Fair
- 1993 Loan, Princes Youth Trust
- 1993 Setting Up Grant, Crafts Council
- 1991 Award for Silversmithing, The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths
- 2001 Goldsmiths’ Fair, London
- 2001 In Farbe, Bettina Gallery, Berlin, Germany
- 2001 Inhorgenta, Munich, Germany
- 2000 Solo Exhibition, Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2000 5th International Exhibition, Velvet Da Vinci, San Francisco, USA
- 2000 Solo Exhibition, Chic Choc Gallery, Berlin, Germany
- 2000 Winter Exhibition, The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh
- 1999 The Jewellery Show, Hugo Barclay, Brighton
- 1998 Blue Horizons, Coombe Farm Gallery, Devon
- 1998 Fired Metal, The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh
- 1996 Fahrenheit ’96 Solid.Liquid.Solid, Kirkland Arts Centre, Washington DC, USA
- 1996 Solo Exhibition, The Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow
- 1996 Metalanguage (solo), Barbican centre, London
- 1994 New Faces, Crafts Council Shop, V&A Museum, London
- 1994 Silver Works Exhibition, Countrywork Gallery, Wales
- 1993-98 Chelsea Crafts Fair
- 1992 The Art and Craft of Jewellery, Janet Fitch