Andrea Stemmer uses mainly wood to design and make furniture. Sensitive, innovative designs based on practicality, clean lines, careful detailing and a craftsman’s respect for materials combine to make furniture that endures. Stemmer works to convey a sense of movement that incorporates or expresses the function of the piece.
Before Stemmer established her solo practice, she was part of the renowned partnership, Kay + Stemmer with CAA maker member Sarah Kay (2000–2012). They collaborated on a range of projects including Cowley Manor Hotel, as well as a wide-range of furniture for the retail market, including SCP, Heal’s and Benchmark.
- 1987-89 Parnham College, Dorset
- 2007 Milan Furniture Fair with SCP
- 2007 London Design Festival with Benchmark
- 2002 Pining For It, Purves and Purves, London
- 1995-2003 various exhibitions, Contemporary Applied Arts, London
- 1994-2004 various exhibitions, Geffrye Museum, London
- 1993 Solo exhibition, Düsseldorf Designers' Gallery, Germany